PGD Mechanical Engineering
The Engineering Technologists (Holders of HND) are desirous of attaining Engineers Cadre. The required qualification to be an Engineer is the Bachelor's degree in Engineering. In a bid to assist the Technologist realize their dreams, COREN is looking at the Postgraduate Diploma Engineering programmes being run 'by the Universities and restructure them to provide a bridge between HND and the Bachelor's degrees programmes. In addition, graduates of some physical or chemical sciences could be converted to registrable engineers via the PGD programmes. The curriculum is made up of theory, laboratory practical, project and seminar. The theory and laboratory practical are in at least 15 weeks per semester for Four (4) semesters.
Admission RequirementsThe minimum entry requirement for admission into the programme is as follows:
- Higher National Diploma (HND) in Mechanical Engineering from a recognized Polytechnic or any recognized institution with a minimum of lower credit grade level
- Higher National Diploma (HND) in Agricultural Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Electrical Engineering or other related fields from any recognized Institution with a minimum of lower credit.
- B. Sc., B.Eng. or B. Tech with Third class in Mechanical Engineering
- O' level requirement: candidates must have a minimum of 5 credits at G.C.E./SSCE O’level from WAEC or NECO which must include Mathematics, Chemistry and Physics at not more than two sittings.
- All candidates must have an NYSC discharge or exemption certificates to be considered for admission.
The PGD programme is a full-time course, and the duration of the study shall be a minimum of Four (4) semesters.
For a candidate to qualify for the award of Postgraduate Diploma, he/she must have earned at least 63 credit units of compulsory courses including the project report.